Is it actually possible to build a free online store? Yes, it is possible to do so if an e-commerce website builder provides you with a free plan through which you can build an online store. Jimdo is one of the website builders that has a free plan which allows you to build your website for free. The benefit of Jimdo is that it provides some great features for all the plans. These include the following: integrations with social media and Google Maps, choice from over 40 templates, ability to blog, e-commerce, contact forms, and responsive design.
Benefits Of Jimdo Free Plan
The free plan from Jimdo is there to help you out with simple projects and is a great starting point for small businesses. What are the advantages of the free plan for the free online store? Let us find out.
- Ease: Jimdo is extremely easy to use and this is fantastic for beginners out there. No part of Jimdo feels complicated and there is a flow to how things work at Jimdo. The templates are easy to work with and any type of industry can build their website with it.
- Website: You can build your website by adding up to 5 pages with the free plan. This is more than enough for some small to medium-sized businesses. You get a Jimdo subdomain when you opt for the free plan.
- Bandwidth: You get 2GB bandwidth when you opt for the free plan from Jimdo. If you are just starting out, this will do fine because there won’t be many visitors at the beginning. Hence, you will be able to work with the 2GB bar.
- Storage: You get to have 500MB of storage with the free Jimdo plan. This is sufficient when you are starting out and can be utilized well. You just have to be smart about how you use this 500MB although, for some medium-sized businesses, this can prove to be sufficient as well.
- Encryption: You will seldom find free plans where you get to have an https encryption. Jimdo gives you that encryption to your website so it looks reliable to any visitor that visits your online store’s website.
- No time limit: You don’t have to upgrade after a certain period of time. This gives you the freedom to test it out for as long as you like. You won’t be pestered by Jimdo to upgrade ASAP which gives you time to explore Jimdo before you decide.
- Customer support: You get to have customer support when you get the free plan from Jimdo. This means if you have a query, you can speak to the customer service representatives of Jimdo to get an answer.
- Trial: If you want to get a feel of how Jimdo is, then the free plan can help you out. You can get an understanding of how Jimdo works and this can help you decide accordingly. This can make it easier for you to invest in other plans by Jimdo.
Drawbacks Of Jimdo Free Plan
The Jimdo free plan comes with a range of drawbacks that you need to know about before you pick it as your free online store website builder.
- Customer support: You get customer service but you won’t be on priority which means you will have to wait for quite some time. If you want to solve your queries quickly, then you will just have to be patient.
- Download limitation: When you want to offer downloads to your website visitors, this can be a big problem. The plan is alright for a few downloads but then if there are many people who want to download, it simply won’t be possible with this free plan by Jimdo.
- Unprofessional: Jimdo free does not host the website on a custom domain. You’ll only have a subdomain on the Jimdo domain. This can affect the way the visitors perceive your store. This makes you look cheap and can repel some visitors after their first visit to your website.
- Unnecessary ads: There is an ad, although small, at the bottom of your website. Unfortunately, an ad is placed on every page of your website. This makes your website look a little cheap and does not give it a professional look that can hurt your reputation.
- Restriction on SEO setting: SEO is undoubtedly one of the most important aspects of a website. It can make a big difference for you and your store. When you get the free Jimdo plan, you cannot change the SEO settings much. The meta description and title is the only editable option.
What If You Want A Professional Website?
Although Jimdo stands apart by being a company that offers lots of features in the free plan so you can create a free online store, you may want to start with a professional website from the start. Jimdo has two other paid plans; Jimdo Pro and Jimdo Business. Although these have added features, you have a limited number of templates to work with which can be limiting. Email support is limited, the e-commerce features seem incomplete, lack of third-party apps, and an inability to add contributors to Jimdo website can be problematic, when it comes to the paid versions. You get easily get more functions and features from ecommerce website builders like Shopify, although they are paid. Ecommerce platforms like Shopify have a focus on ecommerce, which means their website builder is more robust and has features that make it quite an advanced platform to build an ecommerce venture with.